7/26/2012

The Stompcrash - Directions (2012)

Switching gears to something non-metal for today we have the second album from The Stompcrash called, 'Directions,' which I received a few months ago from their label DreamCell 11 Entertainment. I was already a fairly big fan of this bands debut, 'Requiem Rosa,' which was equal parts of classic 80’s English Gothic rock, post punk and some darkwave characteristics and all in all quite refreshing and more enjoyable than anything else the label sent me.

'Directions' carries onward in a very similar direction (no pun) as their debut, though the music tends to feature more keyboards and darkwave tendencies, which creates a very atmospheric and dreamy sort of quality, while the overall mood often feels rather melancholy during most of this record. Vocalist/guitarist Christian uses a bassy male voice that compliments backing vocalist/keyboardist Daniela's female voice, both of which show their Italian accents fairly well. The rest of the instruments seem to fall behind the vocals and keyboards a bit, but they do have some moments of brilliance where they really stick out.

Also much like the debut this album has some really memorable songs, such as, 'Black Dahlia,' 'Cat's Eyes,' 'Awoken From Uneasy Dream' and my personal favorite, 'Looking Eastward,' which I played multiple times in a row the first time I heard the album. The rest of the album is quite solid too, and I'm fairly positive that anyone that digs this sort of music will be hooked on the band and this album really easy.

There's probably a modern day artist to make a more precise comparison with, but since I don't spend much time with this sort of music normally I can't give you one. I can however tell you that I hear a lot of 80's music within this album, bands like The Cure, Joy Division, New Order, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy and Clan Of Xymox all seem like obvious influences to my ears, but then these are often abused metal ears and I may be slightly off.

Regardless, 'Directions' is a solid record, which I'll probably pull out for more plays in the colder months of the year since it just seems more appropriate for those times, but don't let me hold you back from checking them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment